Rising Kite Diversity Scholarship
The Rising Kite Diversity Scholarship is a $500 scholarship that will cover the registration fee for the SCBWI Canada East annual conference, Art of Story, with a little bit left over to assist with the cost of travel and accommodation. It is awarded annually to a creator of children’s books who identifies as a person of colour, and whose submitted work shows merit and promise.
Eligibility: The Rising Kite Diversity Scholarship is open to a writer or illustrator of children’s books who identifies as a person of colour, including a person who is Indigenous or Metis. The successful applicant must use this scholarship to attend the SCBWI Canada East Art of Story conference in the year that the scholarship is awarded.
Submission Deadline: March 15, 2019.
Submission Guidelines: Please send an email to RisingKiteDiversity@gmail.com.
In the body of the email, please include:
● Your name
● Your contact information
● A brief explanation of your cultural background. You can include as much or as little detail as you wish, but please do not exceed one paragraph.
● A brief explanation of what you hope to gain from attending the SCBWI Canada East Art of Story conference (up to one paragraph)
● Up to one paragraph with any other information that you want the committee to consider in reviewing your application
If you are an illustrator:
● Please include a link to your online portfolio, if you have one.
● If you have been published, please include a list of your published titles or identify your published art (e.g., cover art for XYZ novel by So-and-So), including the publisher (please state that you are self-published, if applicable), the year of publication, and the ISBN for each book. If your published work consists of poetry, magazine articles, or art, please list the title of each published work or identify the art (e.g., comic strip on pp 10-11), with the name and issue of each magazine and the year of publication. Please attach PDF copies of your published work, if possible.
If you are a writer:
● Please attach as a Word doc, either:
–Up to 3 complete picture book manuscripts-in-progress (i.e., complete drafts that are as polished as you can make them, but which are not necessarily final drafts), or
–The first 20 pages of a novel in progress.
If you are an author/illustrator:
● Please attach as a PDF one complete picture book dummy, with at least two pages of finished art.
If you are an illustrator or author/illustrator without an online portfolio:
● Please attach as a PDF a portfolio of 8 to 20 separate images.